[NTLUG:Discuss] hp dv9620us

Kevin E. Ivey ik04 at isot.com
Thu Dec 20 00:58:35 CST 2007

Dennis Kaptain wrote:
> I just bought a  hp dv9620us laptop. As of this moment it is still sealed in the box unopened.
>
> I'd like to re-partition the drive and contain vista to maybe 20GB and use the remaining 220GB for Fedora 8.
>
> Does anyone have any advise on how to:
>    1) best repartition the drive (I'm thinking gparted using a live disk)
> and or
>    2) things to look out for during installation and setup?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dennis Kaptain

Howdy,

First remove any unwanted and unused apps from windoze, then defrag and
reboot.

Then restart windoze and run a scandisk/error check.

Then use a Knoppix disk to run Gparted or QTParted and set up your
partitions.  I prefer Reiserfs and I use:

/
/boot
/usr
/home
/tmp
/var

The size of each of these partitions varies depending on how the
computer will be used.  For a laptop I usually add:

/music (FAT32)
/images (for distro CDROM images)(NTFS)
/photos (FAT32)

The FAT32 and NTFS partition types are for sharing between Linux and
windoze.  Format all the new partitions and reboot.

Start windoze again to make sure the drive is seen as the proper size.
You may need to run scandisk again after resizing the C:\ drive.

Reboot with your distro's CD/DVD and install your Linux using the
advanced options to make sure the file system is placed on the proper
partitions you just set up.

I usually set up an extra FAT32 partition for windoze to see as D:\ drive.

That's it.  Enjoy!

Kevin

--
Join the Fort Hood area Linux Users Group (HOODLUG)!
http://hoodlug.org