[NTLUG:Discuss] OT: Introduction and Recommendations

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Wed Jan 9 19:21:50 CST 2008

Ted Gould wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> My wife has accepted a job in Northern Texas so we'll be moving there
> this summer.  We'll probably be living slightly north of the metroplex.
> I've been using Linux for over 10 years, and enjoyed the local LUGs
> where I've lived.  I'm excited about getting involved in the North Texas
> Linux community.  So I've joined the mailing list, and I'll probably be
> at a meeting in July or August.
>
> I was wondering if there were any general recommendations on technology
> issues when moving.  I consider hi-speed Internet a vital utility, but
> are there some providers who are more Linux friendly than others?  I
> don't need to know how to configure the computer, but I'd like it if
> they didn't hang up when I told them I'm running Linux. (and really
> prefer someone who doesn't block port 22)

With Verizon you can get FiOS (if you like mega, ultra high speed),
but you need to live in a Verizon neighborhood (it's fibre to the premise).

There's Roadrunner if all you can get is cable and you're in an
area served by Time Warner cable and Road Runner (what I have to use).
It's very speedy.. 8mbit down, but only 384K up.

There's also SBC (AT&T) DSL.  I have friends that use it.. and it
also seem to work well.

AFAIK, none of these block port 22.  However, all have some terms
that can cause problems.  Verizon seems to have the "potential"
to be quite ugly... but there's no proof that they will be.
Roadrunner has worked out fine for me. AT&T DSL, obviously found
in the non-Verizon areas.

Where I live we can either to Roadrunner cable or AT&T DSL (but
that ONLY very recently).

FiOS sounds fantastic... might be a good reason to move into
a neighborhood serviced by Verizon (rumors aside).