[NTLUG:Discuss] Top Posting

Fred fredstevens at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 09:28:03 CDT 2008

re: Top vs Bottom posting

You have to keep in mind that many email clients, in fact,
the vast majority of the email clients in use today, set you
up to Top post. I not only refer to Windows-based products
but also web-based email, like the one I am currently using.
A "reply" on these systems opens a window with the previous
text below the cursor. One can simply move down the page
to the bottom, put some delineation between that text and
the new message and type away, but it ain't the default
behavior. That is why only forum users - not business, not
Aunt Martha or Joe Sixpack - use Bottom Posting in their
emails.

Personally, what is far more irritating to me is the practice of
including and forwarding ALL of the previous thread contents
ad nauseum. I mean, if you saw it already, why in Hell would
you want to see it over and over? There is a delete key on the
keyboard for a reason. I want to read the reply, not the setup
since I already read it. So, I have to - on each message - scroll
down to the bottom of a ton of garbage just to see whatever
comment was made. That is probably why business email
top posts. If you want to look over previous messages, it is
there for you to see but you don't have to waste your time
digging through it if you don't want to.

I use whichever method is in vogue with the group.

Fred