[NTLUG:Discuss] Problem running openSUSE Live

Russ russ.barrows at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 13:58:51 CDT 2008

Hi,

Though I didn't get any replies to this email I thought I would share
my experience.

Because I have all the time in the world, I downloaded and verified
MD5 sums on all the downloads.  Then I did 'media check' which is the
internal MD5 sum to check on the writes to the CD or DVD.  All the
downloads passed or download MD5, all the DVD writes passed the media
checks, but none of the CDs passed the media checks.

Moreover, the Live CDs would only load on a Via box and an Intel box,
but would not load to the AMD HP-pavilion desktop.  Even playing with
the GRUB screen parameters which was suggested to me locally, did not
help.  The DVD, though not a Live distro, did load to the  HP.

I wrote the CDs on another PC and those writes again failed with
regard to the internal media checks.

So, despite the failure of the media checks, I have 'gutted up' and
loaded a Gnome version to the Via machine as a single boot, a KDE 4
version to a laptop dual-boot, and the DVD Gnome write to the HP as a
dual-boot.  So far, with the exception of speed (different CPUs, bus
speeds, and RAM), all are performing well.  In order to install in the
laptop I had define the screen resolution to 1024x768 at the start
page for the KDE 4 Live CD.  It failed on the default 1280x1024.

--
Russ

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain