[NTLUG:Discuss] USB Scanner Question

./aal al_h at technologist.com
Fri Dec 12 09:16:44 CST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Robert Parkhurst
<robert.parkhurst at gmail.com> wrote:
> What USB scanning options do I have for under $150.00?  I need a flatbed
> scanner at work for scanning in paper documents so we can do things like
> attach the paper invoice to our inventory database and such.
>
> The scanner will be connected to my work laptop (Ubuntu 8.10 (64bit)) via
> USB.  But the scanner should also be compatible with OpenSuSE 10.3/11.0 as
> well as that's the preferred choice for most other people her in the
> office..  I figure the compatibility between Ubuntu and OpenSuSE won't be an
> issue, but just in case..
>
> Is SANE still the way to connect scanners in Linux or is there a newer way?

I am actually using X-SANE to scan a recpt as I write this.
Gentoo 64bit
HP ScanJet 3970 (USB)

look on the sane website, they have a list of compat scanners
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

basically, stay away from the all-in-one things

as far as price
I got mine for free off craigslist.org
someone upgraded theirs and gave me the old one

--
I'm a PC
AND I RUN LINUX!!!

Dave Barry  - "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny
particles called electrons, that you canno...