[NTLUG:Discuss] OT:Fix an MBR in XP

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Sat Feb 21 23:35:51 CST 2009

Slackware has options for installing LILO either as the Master Boot
Record or on the first SuperBlock. I usually use the first SuperBlock on
the bootable Linux partiton which leaves the MBR alone.  HOWEVER, this
means that you can do anything you want to the MBR and NEVER touch the
SuperBlock, so a virus that kills teh MBR won't kill LILO and the
ability to boot Linux (been there before). It also means that LILO won't
go away until you do something to the lilocondig which disables the
SuperBlock or install over the entire partition.

Alvin