[NTLUG:Discuss] An NTLUG Distro

Kenneth Loafman kenneth at loafman.com
Thu Apr 2 11:37:52 CDT 2009

Daniel Hauck wrote:
> I just read some commentary regarding criticism and Linux.  The original
> notion was that Linux needs more critics to keep it moving.  Another
> person pointed out that the reason there are so many very different
> Linux distros out there is because it is essentially "criticism applied."
>
> This got me to thinking.  Chris Cox is unquestionably a really smart
> fellow with strong views on various things.  I wouldn't think to suggest
> this if I didn't think he was smart enough to pull it off.
>
> What about an NTLUG Distro project?  It would naturally be more of an
> exercise than something we could expect to actually catch on in the
> wild.  But not only could it be used as a vehicle to express critical
> views of other distros by addressing them, but could also serve as an
> educational experience in rolling one's own distro.

You make some interesting points and the project is not really as hard
as it sounds, just tedious.  I'll bring up one sticking point as an
example from my perspective.

I would love to see something like this as long as it was apt based and
not rpm based.  I fight with rpm every time I have to use it, so would
just as soon not support any distro with rpm.

...Thanks,
...Ken