[NTLUG:Discuss] DistroWatch 10 Most Popular Linux Distros

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 14:19:12 CDT 2009

On 4/9/09, Chris Cox <cjcox at acm.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 10:23 -0500, Gilbert Morrow wrote:
>
> > Seem a few developers at PCLinuxOS have jumped ship and may be going to
>  > start their own Spin Off Distro .
>

> Sigh... yes... I don't WANT to start a new distro... except as a
>  learning experience for myself... and then if I think I've got
>  something truly unique/useful... maybe it could catch on... if only
>  there was some way of funding the work :)

How about starting with a distro like TinyMe (formerly MiniME)?

>  Odds are that this kind of experiementation is done to get me
>  a job, instead of making me rich because of my own creation.
>
>  It's sort of like Sun buying as many open source companies as they
>  could so they could go belly up in style...  (sorry, just had
>  to poke Schwartz in the eye).

Couldn't agree with you more.
Some great companies disappeared into Sun as well as into HP, IBM, EMC, etc.
You might find your favorite here:
"487 Acquired, dead, renamed, merged & gone away storage companies"
<http://www.storagesearch.com/acquired.html>

Non-storage companies are tougher to find.
Not many good references to Compaq, Convex or DEC anymore.