[NTLUG:Discuss] NTLUG workshops

Ralph Green sfreader at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 27 05:18:06 CDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 22:06 -0700, CoryC wrote:
> > Well... 11am - 2pm is probably not all that great... but
> > it's something.  Could
> > be difficult time wise.
>
> Figure we're going to need at least 4 hours, so 9-1:30 would give us time to answer questions and get everything put away.

Howdy,
  It seems like there is enough interest that we ought to try to firm
this up.  ESXi is not the perfect virtualization solution for everyone.
But, it is widely used.  I think enough people would come to make it
worth doing and, importantly, we have a volunteer to run it.

 I'll try to summarize some of the points we need to consider.  Before
the actual event, we should probably start a wiki page for the workshop.
We can put requirements there.  A pointer to the HCL and any other
advice about hardware could go there and be improved by all the members.

  Cory says he needs 4 hours and our President, Chris, likes the idea of
it replacing a normal meeting.  So, let's plan on doing that.  Cory
should check his schedule and see when he could hold it.  We ought to
hold it at least 2 months out so we can prepare properly.  If a better
offsite location is offered, we can switch, but if we replace a meeting,
we know that should work.  So, let's proceed with the idea of doing it
from 9 AM to 1:30 PM as a replacement for a normal meeting.

 There will be preparation needed.  Only some hardware works well with
ESXi.  I would question how expensive a hardware setup people need to
just use ESXi on their own.  Enterprise use with systems running that
people rely up might need the latest enterprise drives.  Is that really
a requirement for a home learning system?  That is one thing we might
want to document for people who want to participate.  Experienced VMWare
users can help us here, I hope.  People would need to download software
ahead of time and order and receive any needed hardware.

 It sounds like Cory can handle a few people who would install the ESXi
software on VMs on his system.  They would need to bring Windows(ughh)
systems with them for the management console.  Now, I read that the
Windows machine is not really needed, but it may be the way Cory is
prepared to teach, so it may be needed for this workshop.

 I would hope that the proposed wiki page would have some reading
material so people can do a bit of homework before the workshop.  I know
I'd like to see that the terms of service from VMWare are available
there.  I started to install ESXi ver 3.5 a year or two ago and found
the terms offensive enough that I canceled that project.  Everyone can
make their own decision about that, but I'd like people to not be
surprised.  I assume here that everyone always reads and analyses these
agreements like I do.  I have had hints that this may not be the case.

 Maybe we could even suggest some good, inexpensive test equipment.
Stuart Yarus pointed out at the last install project that CompUSA has
some inexpensive($200) quad-core AMD systems.  If we check the details
and find it meets the requirements for ESXi, that might help people
participate and run their own systems afterwards.
Have a good day,
Ralph