[NTLUG:Discuss] Bare metal hardware

Leroy Tennison leroy.tennison at verizon.net
Mon Jun 1 23:36:10 CDT 2015

Looking for suggestions for a reasonably-priced bare metal platform to
run Linux as a firewall/switch.  Sixteen ports is the rough target.  I
am aware of the Axiomtek 10-port unit but, at roughly $1000, that seems
expensive.  Also aware of the soekris 4-port but again, at $300, it
seems expensive.  Dell has a 24-port for $1000 list/750 street and a
48-port for $600 which is very reasonable (if the quality is there -
just don't know).  I see other vendors (nexcom, lanner, Penguin
Computing) but finding prices is almost impossible.  Any other options?