[NTLUG:Discuss] Is Linux Ready for the desktop now?

Jay Cox sqrtofone at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 13:06:19 CDT 2001

Greg Edwards wrote:

> To make a long story short I'd say that for a clean install Mandrake is
> ready for the world.  However, to upgrade to an already installed Linux
> distrib NO WAY!  When I was a RH user it didn't upgrade any better,
> actually worse.

Seems like to me the last 2 times I upgraded I didn't use the default
installer
(I had a custom built perl and limited hd space amongst other
things..).  Generally I've found installing wanted rpms via rpm
("wanted" is determined by basically querying rpm for what is already on
the hard drive) Sometimes packages are renamed, of course, and
dependencys may change.  But it isn't to bad if you have written some
tools to help you and if you have the time (maybe an hour or two?).

Hmmm, these statements of mine don't exactly help the argument for "Is
Linux Ready" etc.  But then my system isn't an ordinary/normal system as
far as software goes.

BTW my last install was RH6.2... (Been thinking i might upgrade soon
though, Esp. since I have more HD space!)

Jay Cox