[NTLUG:Discuss] Re: AT&T back up!

Christopher 'Vulpine' Kalley vulpine at cyberfox.org
Mon Dec 3 13:04:08 CST 2001

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 brian at pongonova.net wrote:

> Sorry about not attaching to the thread earlier...I'm not yet
> receiving mail from the mailing list...
>
> For those of you with AT&T, the service in Garland came up around 2000
> yesterday evening.  Unfortunately, AT&T is being very adamant about
> not giving out static IP's (I had one originally), unless you have an
> unsupported version of MacOS.  Anybody by chance know which versions
> of MacOS don't support DHCP? :)
>
> On a Linux-related note, dhclient seems to work OK with
> the new service.  Fire it up, point it to the right interface, and you
> should get a response back from AT&T's DHCP server.

Worked fine on my SuSE 6.4 firewall, once I got it though my thick
skull to actually install dhclient...*thud*

> So maybe someone can answer me this:  If I accidentally terminate my
> dhclient, and never update my dynamic address, will it get reissued at
> some later date?  I'm pretty torqued about losing my static IP, but I
> don't see anywhere in my agreement requiring me to ask for a new
> lease.

One of my coworkers did this, and so far no problems.  I'm not sure
how AT&T handles DHCP, and if it reassigns IP's if their still claimed.

Vulpine

--
Christopher "Vulpine" Kalley    |    Unix/Linux System Administrator
vulpine at cyberfox.org            |    http://www.cyberfox.org

  "Cunning and deceit will serve a man better than force." - Machiavelli