[NTLUG:Discuss] pppd questions

Jay Cox sqrtofone at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 26 10:24:43 CST 2002

This is something I don't quite get.  I've read pppd is supposed to
modify that file, yet somehow I've mucked up my system (after many
upgrades from rh4.2, some of the upgrades done rpm-by-rpm) so that
it doesnt rewrite that resolve.conf).  To remedy the problem, I have a
whole slew of DNS numbers (and some other commands), but I haven't
quite figured out which command or IP my system is generally
using, (and frankly am a bit to lazy to figure out the best method
to figure out what DNS server I use on any given ppp connection).
My guess is that Geremy has the same problem I have had.

anyway, just to add some stuff

If i simulate not having any dns information by moving
/etc/resolv.conf to a temporary location, the following command
still works for getting the name of the dns servers for my current
isp, prodigy.net.

dig @64.247.218.140 prodigy.net ns

you can then at least plug in those numbers to /etc/resolv.conf
by giving

nameserver x
nameserver x

(replacing x by the ip addresses gotten from the dig)

BTW, I guess I answered my own question. if i did a dig every time
I connected, I guess I should be able to determine which
of my ips i am using. (but what about determining if the computer is using
the "search prodigy.net" line? maybe my syntax is wrong or something. Meh.
anyway...)

Hope this helps,

Jay Cox