[NTLUG:Discuss] pppd questions

bryn konti bkontr at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 26 10:13:25 CST 2002

Everybody else has posted good ideas of things to
check.  I thought of one more thing (I think this is
distribution dependent)...check either or both:

/etc/host.conf
one of the lines should say:
order hosts, bind

and

/etc/nsswitch.conf
the hosts line should be something like:
hosts:  files dns

These files are supposed to tell linux whether to use
the /etc/hosts file or DNS or both for name
resolution. I am not sure which one most linux
distributions use by default, but I do know that
nsswitch is the newest method.
Someone already mentioned /etc/resolv.conf
that should look something like:

domain YourDomain
search YourISPsDomain
nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

I think that's it...hope that was helpful.