[NTLUG:Discuss] pppd questions

lee lee at brave.com
Tue Mar 26 20:01:14 CST 2002

did you mention you're using a redhat distro?  /usr/sbin is not in the
default path for a user, but it is for root.  so, i'm sure you'll ask
that when you su to root, then how come it doesn't work then, when you
*are* root?

(please, i invite those with more experience to correct anything that
i'm wrong about here...)

if you just su, you inherit the login environment of the user you're
su'ing from.  if you su -l, then you will have real login environment of
root.  try it and see:

[user at host]$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

[user at host]$ su
Password:

[root at host]# echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

[root at host]# su -l
[root at host]# echo $PATH
/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin
                     ^^^^^^^^^

several solutions to get around this:
edit /etc/profile and add the /usr/sbin directory to the default path, or
edit ~/.bash_profile and add the /usr/sbin directory to each user's path, or
create a symlink in /bin that points to /usr/sbin/pppd

make sure that pppd is executable by everyone, or investigate a group
situation where only members of a certain group will have permission to
execute pppd.

-- lee