[NTLUG:Discuss] New card blues

Pervaz Allaudin pervaz at att.net
Sat Apr 26 19:01:30 CDT 2003

Hi:

My system was running extremely slow; I was recommended a new graphics card.
So I bought a new used pci diamond multimedia 3dfx card (voodoo)- good
old guys at the electronic discounts.

The problem is it is giving me blank - no signal. The guys at store said
there should be something in the Bios to let me switch adapters - It has
a built in SiS 3D AGP adapter on the mother board.

I am running dual boot with mandrake 9.0 and the hardware does see it as
what seems to be a as TV card when I do hardware list - but it says
module unknown.

The system is 500Mhz AMDK6 II with 172 M (8 currently shared with the
Sis graphics) - but slower than a 3 legged horse on a slow North texas
July afternoon esp in the graphics,  thus the card. Windows seems
exceptionally fast - even more than usual. And recognizes the new card -
but cannot find the driver.

So where should the switch between the adapters be. Or do you'll
recommend trade the card in for 256 M of memory - I'd rather have the
card working.

Pervaz.