[NTLUG:Discuss] adding 2nd hard disk

Greg Edwards gedwards at netbsa.org
Thu Dec 27 11:05:01 CST 2007

> Look at the BIOS boot order settings.  You might be using the 20G
drive
> as the 1st boot search device.  If the 500G drive has an MBR and is
> searched before the 20G drive then it should be the boot device.  The
> master/slave relationship really doesn't have anything to do with boot
> search order.
>
> --
> Greg Edwards

OK, stick foot in mouth award goes to me ;\

Make sure that the ribbon cable has the master as the last connector.
The middle connector is suppose to be slave.  Check BIOS to see which
drive it thinks is primary master/slave.  If your BIOS boot order map
only says hard drive, then master/slave is critical.  If your boot order
map allows you to id a specific drive, then set the 500G first.

--
Greg Edwards